lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:47 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Quote:
"...service for PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 versions of the game will end in March 2016. Meanwhile, the Windows version will continue to run."

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/19/final-fantasy-xi-end-service-playstation-2-xbox-360-march-2016/

Get some playing time in while you still can. Smile

I might take my character online again and just kick them around and record some video here and there.
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:07 am
quote : #2
I have decided to play this game online until it shuts down, and chronicle my journey along the way with video footage of the experience. Which means until next march I will be exploring the world of FFXI.

If you would like to be a part of this with me, feel free to reply.

I will be, of course, rocking FFXI from my Playstation 2. I am looking to play with other PS2 hardware owners.
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:21 pm
quote : #3
I am now backup and running with FFXI. I am online with my character once again, and I have all of the North American PS2 expansions installed up through Wings of a Goddess.

If anyone wants to join me, just let me know. We have to synchronize what servers we are on. Right now I am on Cerberus, but I might switch to the server TheMytho is on.
rank 38
Posted:
Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:14 pm
quote : #4
I resubbed earlier this week with a friend of mine, so I'm ready to play.
Posted:
Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:15 pm
quote : #5
Awesome man! Looking forward to getting some game time in with you.
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:41 am
quote : #6
How is the online population for Final Fantasy Xi these days? Glad to see that they've extended the play on PS2 for so long!

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:33 pm
quote : #7
gRiMgRaVy014 wrote:
How is the online population for Final Fantasy Xi these days? Glad to see that they've extended the play on PS2 for so long!

A late reply, but I wanted to respond to you on this topic gRiMgRaVy. Surprisingly, rather active. I see people running around all the time in the areas that I have been killing stuff. I was actually surprised by how many players I saw playing this past weekend.

I saw parties, some players soloing, and one person even ran by me quickly putting a chocobo on my head lol.

If I had to guess, I saw maybe 45-60 unique players just in the small area of Windhurst I was in over the timespan of about 6 hours that I was playing on Sunday.
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:36 pm
quote : #8
Awesome. I get this game on ebay because it is still active. Now as I'm installing the longest update known to mankind I realize that I only will have two weeks to play it. Wish I researched things ahead of time... At least I get some time I guess. Is there no way to play this on PS2 after they kill their servers?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:59 pm
quote : #9
There is no way to play the PS2 version online after Square-Enix removes support for the PS2 version at the end of the month. Servers are not being terminated, just the ability for the PS2 version to access the servers. Playing the game online using a PS2 after the 31st via alternate servers is not only not possible as of yet, but also has added complexities. There is Sony's DNAS authentication system to skirt around, but also... patch updates. Even if one has the install discs, so much of the game is updated via Patches that are only provided via Square-Enix's servers. After the 31st there would be no way for the average user to access these patches on a fresh/older install of the game. The community of PS2 players would be a mixture of different file versions.

There is a private server for FFXI called "Darkstar", which is open source. So far nobody has spent the time to get the PS2 version to work with this server, and given the complexities involved, it is not something that this community is going to pursue. I am not saying it won't happen someday, but the focus right now is just to enjoy the game.

My goal is to experience this game on the Playstation 2 hardware for the rest of the month, and experience it while I can. I am recording video of every minute I am playing online. TheMytho and I are playing on server "Asura". You are more than welcome to join us.

The PC version of FFXI will continue to be online for many years. Your character, started on the PS2, can be picked up on the PC version via Official servers. So the experience will not end per say, just the PS2's ability to run the game. Furthermore, given the significance of this game I am planning on setting up a legacy area here at the PS2 site where the PC version can be discussed and played either via Official or Private server means.