Page Location: Home > Sega PS2 Games > Topic
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:08 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I know a guy who is in the Navy, and whenever he finds out he's coming in to a port he'll ask me if there is anything I want from whichever country he's in. He buys it if he sees it, ships it to me, and then I pay him back later on. Most of the time it's cool little figures shaped like Buddha, or authentic Ramen, or random stuff like that... but today, these came in the mail:

Volume 8 - Virtua Racing
Volume 10 - Afterburner II
Volume 16 - Virtua Fighter 2
Volume 20 - Space Harrier Complete Collection
Volume 32 - Phantasy Star Complete Collection

And thanks to their bargain basement price in-country and unscrupulous Navy shipping, the price he gave me is an absolute steal, even if they took forever to get here. Adding these to the copy of Golden Axe (Volume 5) that I already have, and this brings my Sega Ages collection up to a whopping six out of 33!

Getting these running was sort of a pain in the ass, since I don't actually have an import or modded PS2 yet. So, just like Golden Axe, I had to pull the hard drive out of one of my PS2s, install it into my PC, and then rip the game to it using WinHIIP. Once the game is on the hard drive, it will boot fine, since HDLoader only does a region check when you install a new game. The only game I can't get running is Virtua Racing, so I'm going to re-rip it tomorrow. All of these games are listed online as compatible, so hopefully I just made a mistake while ripping.

So this entire afternoon I've been going through these games, and it has been fucking awesome. Playing VF2 on a Dual Shock 2 took a little getting used to, but it's gotten me to seriously consider picking up one of these

so I can "get my groove back". I've got the arcade stick that came with the Tekken 5 Collector's Bundle, but it's on loan to a friend right now so I wasn't able to try it out with any of these games. I've never played VF2 in an arcade, only the Saturn port, so being able to fire up the original is incredible.

The Phantasy Star Collection is awesome, it has all four original games (all of them in both English and Japanese), plus a text adventure game that I haven't really gotten into yet since I can't seem to find the menu to change it to English text.

I'm not a huge Space Harrier fan, but I got it anyway since it was so cheap. It's cool to play through the series and see how it has changed, but while I was playing it, It really made me want to play Afterburner.

Also, for some reason, I am absolutely terrible at Afterburner II. There was a miniature golf place that I used to live near when I was a kid, and they had an old version of the original that I remember being decent at, and do fairly well at the Afterburner Climax cab that is at the mall, so I blame my personal lack of moving cockpit like the arcade cabinets have for me being so terrible at the Sega Ages version. It was pretty cool landing on a highway to get restocked on missiles and seeing a motorcycle from Hang On take off, and then doing it again later and seeing the car from Outrun.

So, I've pretty much got my weekend planned out now. It really, really sucks that these were never released standalone in the US. We got the Classics Collection, but it's selection of games on it was pretty hit and miss. I think the Sega Ages games would probably make a killing here if they hit the shelves at $10 a piece. The majority of them are mostly in English anyway, and the ones from the Classics Collection are already fully localised.

There are a bunch more that I want to track down, now that I've seen good examples in the series (other than Golden Axe).

Manji
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:28 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-J
Einhander wrote:
Getting these running was sort of a pain in the ass, since I don't actually have an import or modded PS2 yet. So, just like Golden Axe, I had to pull the hard drive out of one of my PS2s, install it into my PC, and then rip the game to it using WinHIIP. Once the game is on the hard drive, it will boot fine, since HDLoader only does a region check when you install a new game. The only game I can't get running is Virtua Racing, so I'm going to re-rip it tomorrow. All of these games are listed online as compatible, so hopefully I just made a mistake while ripping.

that does sound like a pain Razz, but at least you can get them to play.

Einhander wrote:
The Phantasy Star Collection is awesome, it has all four original games (all of them in both English and Japanese), plus a text adventure game that I haven't really gotten into yet since I can't seem to find the menu to change it to English text.

yea, that's one reallly good reason to pick up the phantasy star collection, since they can be played in english. strange you can't find the menu to change the text adventure to english, i wonder if they even translated that? it probably was never released outside of japan, so maybe it doesnt have an english option?

Einhander wrote:
It really, really sucks that these were never released standalone in the US. We got the Classics Collection, but it's selection of games on it was pretty hit and miss. I think the Sega Ages games would probably make a killing here if they hit the shelves at $10 a piece. The majority of them are mostly in English anyway, and the ones from the Classics Collection are already fully localised.

the collections we received from sega in u.s. were disappointing, imo. they did come with great games, but sega has such a rich backlog of titles, they skipped over a lot, which is what this sega ages collections could have remedied had they been released.

congratulations on adding these to your collection!

DaMan
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:24 pm
quote : #3
Very, nice Einhander!
sounds like you're trying catch them all?
I definitely would buy them if they came to the US to bad that does not seem to be in the cards. Sad
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:00 pm
quote : #4
Oh I couldn't afford them all. I'm just trying to get ahold of all of the ones I want as soon as I can, since I don't know what kind of availability they'll have in the next few years. I just want to make sure to try and get them while I can.

I'm sitting here looking at maps I've drawn for dungeons in Phantasy Star II. Man, this brings back memories.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:35 pm
quote : #5
I should have mentioned before that VF2 is sort of hampered by a tinted visual display. Everything is grayed out and sort of desaturated. It is however one of the harder to find of the 2500 series.

Also, that Saturn PS2 controller will cost you quite a bit. They are highly sought after and I see them going for as much or more than arcade sticks. If you can get one for a deal, jump on it.

Yea the Phantasy Star Complete Collection is something special. It really does have every 2D Phantasy Star game ever made, and since many of the games on the collection have their english counterparts, its so great for importers. The saturn Phantasy Star Collection was all japanese, which deterred me from ever purchasing it. Also, it should be noted that these emulations are near flawless and far superior to the Sega Genesis Collection which features more straight forward generic emulation. On Phantasy Star Complete Collection you can run the games in true 240p, so they look exactly like they would when playing from a Sega Genesis (provided you are of course using a SDTV).
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:38 am
quote : #6
Einhander, how much did you get Space Harrier Complete Collection for again? That game bolted up in price for some odd reason.
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 pm
quote : #7
I can't remember, it was so long ago.

I do remember that whatever it was, since my friend grabbed it for me when he was in-country from a game shop it was incredibly cheap, the shipping cost to the US was considerably more than the cost of the game.

NealPen
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:28 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-J
Einhander wrote:
I always have my probiotics for women and can't remember, it was so long ago.

I do remember that whatever it was, since my friend grabbed it for me when he was in-country from a game shop it was incredibly cheap, the shipping cost to the US was considerably more than the cost of the game.

Do you still have this collection, Einhander? Would you consider selling it?

Last edited by NealPen on Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:21 am; edited 2 times in total

supersmash2
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
Wow! Interesting I must play that games...