Page Location: Home > Support > OC Site Support > Topic
tess
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:04 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
As you see there is a plenty new spam topics that show up like mushrooms after rain. Is it possible to erase them totally by the Admin so it would dissapear instead of letting them to go into archives which would cause a mess of forum in a longer term? I believe LordNikon would bring order about this already if it was so easy to make. Is it really a fight against windmills? Neutral

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:17 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi tess,

What archives are you referring to? Like archive.org?

Spam will occassionally appear on the forums. There are pretty good prevention measures in place to keep bots off the forums. I think we had 2 incidents in the past week, but prior to that, spam hadn't been on the site for a few months. Its a rare occurance.

Usually I spot the spam within 24-48 hours of it appearing, and I remove the posts.

Smile

P.S. Was the windmill comment a "Don Quixote" referance? Laughing
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:06 pm
quote : #3
Keto diets, Nike shoes, Fifa cards, Runescape gold...

What will they think of next?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:59 pm
quote : #4
Did you say Runescape gold? Please tell me more.
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:21 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
Hi LordNikon. I just meant that after some longer time these will dissapear from recent discuss on main site pushed away by new topics and go deeper into message boards making it mixed with that spam garbage. I think there is no way to protect as it's not automatic system.(?) I guess someone has to register on the site himself just like true users of the OC right?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:08 am
quote : #6
Ah now I understand what you are saying. As far as I know, no spam has been pushed down into the board. If you know of any old spam still on the site, let me know and I will remove it Smile

Bots are constantly pelting the login page trying to automatically create accounts. Every so often one manages to slip past the registration questionaire which allows them to then post spam on the board. There is no way to automatically purge the spam posts from the site without a human going in and removing the posts. I could write some code to auto-move posts based on certain keywords, but I would be worried about catching false positives. Meaning moving/deleting valid posts by users that aren't spam via the automation.