Topic: PS2 HDD

Page 1 of 2
elf2600
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
i know i may be stupid, but i just need to know b4 i spend more time investigating. is it possiable to buy a HDD without getting it preloaded? (this could be the weird part) but i don't like FF. i have played bits of each game and i don't like the turn based system.. but back to my question.. can i get a HDD, just by itself? or do i have to get the whole bundeled deal?

elf
DS-Kingdom Hearts, Advanced Wars 2, Feel The Magic
eMac- World of Warcraft
moonUNIT
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:18 am
quote : #2
I dont beleive that you can, it doesnt really matter anyway. I mean you can always delete whats on your HDD when you get it. Plus FF11 is free so its not like you buying it. Plus its smart to get, especially if you are a socom player.
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:05 pm
quote : #3
yea there is only the bundle, or you can find a friend with the hdd disk and put the software and format a regular hdd.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:50 pm
quote : #4
my friend was just trying t oget the hdd alone but there wasnt any even on ebay..
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:41 pm
quote : #5
You can on Japanvideogames.com, but I'm not sure what model they are for.

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:09 pm
quote : #6
You could always try getting a preowned HDD from your EBGames store. I'm not sure if they've cleaned out FFXI and PlayOnline, but you can always wipe it clean yourself with a reformatting of the hard disk (using the appropriate utility CD).

Same goes for a new HDD bundle, which can be currently found for $74.99 @ Outpost.com (good deal):
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3927288

I say go for the HDD + FFXI if you can get it cheap (like above).
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:21 pm
quote : #7
i had to remove my hdd to send my ps2 with sony.. when i get it back will i have to re format it or just stick it back in.
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:30 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
Mir_wan wrote:
i had to remove my hdd to send my ps2 with sony.. when i get it back will i have to re format it or just stick it back in.

Just stick it back in. I've removed my HDD several times with no issues. I was too scared to hook it up to my computer, but now that I don't play FFXI anymore, I might give it a try.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:13 am
quote : #9
Just stick it back in. I've removed my HDD several times with no issues. I was too scared to hook it up to my computer, but now that I don't play FFXI anymore, I might give it a try.[/quote]

Thanks alot now im not worried i cant find my hdd disk
Posted:
Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:10 pm
quote : #10
A guy brought in a FFXI bundle to work the other day, and we gave him $34 in in-store credit for it. He used the credit toward a used copy of Halo 2.

Anyway, after my employee discount, the price drops to $56 for it. It's been opened, but FFXI is still sealed, and he didn't even use the activation codes. The box, manuals, and game case are in pristine condition. So I'm getting a HDD plus FFXI for a little over half the price. That rocks. I hate FFXI. If anyone here needs another copy of the FFXI discs (if yours is scratched or lost), PM me please.

But that's how I got my HDD. Other than buying it used, you're pretty much SOL for getting a HDD standalone.

When people say the HDD is free with FFXI, I think that's weird. I see it as a bundle with $50 for FFXI and $50 for the HDD, and $100 for FFXI.

DietGarfield
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:57 pm
quote : #11
you could always buy just a regular harddrive. as long as its between 40 and 120 gigs, it should work.
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:49 pm
quote : #12
DietGarfield wrote:
you could always buy just a regular harddrive. as long as its between 40 and 120 gigs, it should work.

The PS2 won't see it, trust me, I've tried. Many speculate that the PS2 HDD uses Sony's MagicGate.. thingy.. in addition to a BIOs update included on the HDD. With my standard Maxtor 40gb harddrive plugged into the PS2, it would spin it up on boot up, but that was it. SOCOM II, when told to use it via the options menu, would spin it up then give an error. With the offical PS2 HDD, however, the PS2 spins it up on boot up, and loads the browser update that allows one to view the HDD, and also some system settings (keyboard language, mouse, the ability to see the PS2's MAC Address). SOCOM II no longer gives an error either. Formatting a standard harddrive with the HDD Utility disc doesn't work either, thus bringing the idea of Sony implementing the MagicGate technology into the HDD (just as they have with the memory cards).

DietGarfield
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:55 pm
quote : #13
thats weird... i heard all over the place you could do that Confused

first hand experience is best though.
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:31 pm
quote : #14
DietGarfield wrote:
thats weird... i heard all over the place you could do that Confused

first hand experience is best though.

Well, homebrew software might be able to see it and make use of it, HDLoader does I think, but the PS2 itself cannot recognize any harddrive other than the official PS2 HDD.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:31 am
quote : #15
ive seen alot of places on the net where people have been using other hard drives with the hd loader