Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:29 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I am waiting before I get very angry, depressed, and frustrated about the news that Capcom has decided to shutdown Clover Studios.

Let me first start off by saying that I hate business jargon. I cannot stand terminology like "meet bottom line productivity requirements" or "synergizing wide spread assets for dispersment among leading department figure heads". If this language comes off as stupid to you, don't worry, it is.

None of the news stories across the Internet took the time to translate this enormous run on sentance:

"Clover Studio Co., Ltd. has met the goal of developing unique and creative original home video game software, however, in view of promoting a business strategy that concentrates management resources on a selected business to enhance the efficiency of the development power of the entire Capcom group, the dissolution of Clover Studios Co., Ltd. has been raised and passed at a Board of Directors' meeting."

These people love hearing themselves talk so much, they forget to use periods until its too late.

I will translate exactly what the above statement means:

Quote:
"Clover Studio Co., Ltd. has met the goal of developing unique and creative original home video game software

This part is pretty self explanatory. Clover has developed many unique video games for the home console market.

Quote:
however, in view of promoting a business strategy that concentrates management resources on a selected business

Here Capcom is second guessing their decision to start Clover Studios. They realise that they put all of their eggs in one basket. Top game designers who worked on Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, and Steel Battalion are all a part of Clover.They have other studios which could use the years of expertise of these veteran game designers.

Quote:
to enhance the efficiency of the development power of the entire Capcom group, the dissolution of Clover Studios Co., Ltd. has been raised and passed at a Board of Directors' meeting."

In order to improve the game output from their development studios as a whole, Clover Studios will be "dissolved". Which means that they are doing restructuring, similar to what Sega has done with their development studios (which has not gone well at all).

It is important to remember that these game designers could still leave and form their own companies. At Sega, Yuji Naka left Sonic Team and formed an independent studio.

My first reaction to the news was that Clover shutting down would be a nightmare. After fruther reading I have concluded it may not impact the creative output from Capcom. We will just have to wait and see.
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:13 pm
quote : #2
it just sounds like theyd like to save some money to me, wiether this'll have negative effects in the long run is anybodys guess
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:00 pm
quote : #3
All just a plow to make the stockholders happy.
What the effects are will remain to be seen.
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:49 pm
quote : #4
I was surprised to see this myself as I have played a couple different yet very fun games from these guys
Posted:
Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 pm
quote : #5
This news is initially rather disappointing, especially on the heels of quality releases like Okami and God Hand. Whether or not these titles have been or will be commerically successful, I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait it out and see the effects of the restructuring.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:31 am
quote : #6
I found some new information which suggests that Clover had been toying with the notion of splitting off from Capcom, and starting their own independent studio. You can read an article referencing it here. However the original source for this was by Chris Kohler over at Wired:

"A source who wishes to remain anonymous is telling me that the Clover gang actually wants to split from Capcom and form their own independent development studio. So the dissolution, then, would have been caused by the developers deciding to take off." -Chris Kohler

This would suggest Capcom's press released run on sentance was merely an attempt to save face.
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:15 am
quote : #7
Thanks for the translations nikon.This reminds me of english class when I would write essays out and include sentences the longest way possible just so I could get 2 pages.