Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:30 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have had my PS2 since the day of release in Noth America. I have givien it all of my attention (before anything else for it is one of my prized possesions) and tried keeping it in mint condition despite putting a gnarly red skull sticker on it. Until last week it started reading some of my games as if they where scratched( it did do that with th blue disk's when I put one in for the first time when I got it). has anything happened to your PS2 for those whove had theirs for a long time?
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:43 pm
quote : #2
let me tell you in six years i have had five ps2's. the first stop readin dvd's after about two months no problem still under warrenty so got myself a new one.the second one started giving me disc read errors after about one year called up sony and the only thing i had to pay for was the shipping to them to fix it. the third same deal as the second so sent it in as well. the fourth one started giving me disc read errors on rented games or used ones that i bought so i traded it into eb for a xbox Rolling Eyes just recently bought my fifth and it seems ok for now.

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:00 am
quote : #3
Kannibal wrote:
Until last week it started reading some of my games as if they where scratched( it did do that with th blue disk's when I put one in for the first time when I got it).

Yes, Those Stupid Disk read errors! the other thing it did was when it read the games you could hear the system making scratch noises which happened whe I put in a blue disk as well! I am never using it again not even for back up! That is the second(After my First BC Rich Warlock Guitar) thing I will put on my list for the thigs that are useless to me but I will keep it until I die and then pass it on to my nxt gen family.
Posted:
Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:08 pm
quote : #4
Touch wood, mine has been fine. My PS2 has had two periods of use though a heavy period when it was new, then it laid silent for 12 to 18 months minus the odd DVD. Now its been in use again for my online ps2 gaming mostly. I do get DVD problems with it but they seem intermitent and I am never 100% certain they are the fault of the ps2. One problem is very quiet talking on movies but very loud effects. Have to turn the tv right up when people are talking then get blasted when someone shuts a door on screen Confused Put a game in straight after and the sound is all balanced fine Confused Have occasionaly had jumping when playing DVD's that play fine on the DVD player.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:45 pm
quote : #5
I have the same problem with the DVD's as well but then again, there was no updates for the DVD version thing(when you press triangle in the consoles menu when it says Browser and Configuration/s).
Posted:
Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:16 pm
quote : #6
actually there was an upgrade to the dvd player when you bought the official remote for the original ps2. the remote came with a disc that you would download the upgrade off of but it used like four megs of memory off of your memory card but would allow for up to sixteen times fast forward and a few other things i can't remember. about dvd problems my original ps2's always had trouble with disney dvd's the movies would occasionally freeze up or skip chapters. my new one doesn't seem to have any problems as of yet.

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:37 am
quote : #7
eeeeh, I dont really need it since I am mostly going to use my Grinder to play games rather than watch DVD's since I gotz my Minotaur which also plays Blu-Ray.
Posted:
Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:31 pm
quote : #8
i also have an old fatty ps2. It still works good, but when i put in blue discs like rez or contra shattered soldier it sometimes starts making horrible noises and I have to pop the disc back out move my ps2 around and try again. However, this always fixes the problem. Other than this my 7 year old ps2 still works great.
Posted:
Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:50 pm
quote : #9
I'm surprised I never replied to this thread. I've gone through five fat PS2s and I feel that I took good care of them. I did get them from Gamestop though, so it definitely pays to get a warranty on a used system you get from them.
I like the fat PS2s more overall on a sidenote.
Posted:
Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:49 am
quote : #10
I only have 3 PS2's, but i used to own four of them. I gave one to my friend(this dude doesn't do anything besides play PS consoles or do some light excersices...oh yeah, eat and sleep) because his old one fell from his window(3 stories high) and it hit a car which he never got blamed for. He said that he was rough housing with his mom and a pillow hammered it taking Sonic Mega Collection + along for the ride, so regardless what the reason of what the PS2 was doing at the window I gave him my slim 3 weeks after it came out because it was just collecting dust...for a price of course. I have two of the original models and some wierd smooth lookin slim that i found at Frys I've never even heard of or seen before. My second fatboy is starting to fail on me when it loads some of the giant maps in SOCOM 3 and Combined Assault so I use the smooth looking slim to play PS2 games online but the first fatboy is used for display in my private closet since it failed me no longer than some months ago.
Posted:
Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:50 am
quote : #11
i kno my fatty is probably nearing its end... but i really like the fat ps2, ive heard that the slims can overheat very easily. I play a lot of ps2 so that would be a problem for me, but buying a used fatty might not turn out well since i might end up with one as messed up as the one I will be replacing.
Posted:
Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:29 am
quote : #12
Ive had my fat Ps2 for many years and its had zero problems. Ive never seen the point in buying a slim Ps2, same console but with less supported peripherals and options Confused If I could really see the need to save the tiny amount of extra space then I think the answer would be I need a bigger house not a smaller ps2. If my fatty breaks I'll buy another fatty but its insured anyway so no big issue.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:48 pm
quote : #13
lazybum wrote:
i kno my fatty is probably nearing its end... but i really like the fat ps2, ive heard that the slims can overheat very easily.

I've had my Slim on for 10+ hours at a time and the system was only slightly warm. Games played fine as well.

I like the original PS2 for its versatility and options, but the Slim is just plain sexy. It is a marvel that it's so small and compact. If you are not planning on taking advantage of i.Link or the HDD, then the Slim is a worthy alternative.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:44 pm
quote : #14
it would be nice to have some more space with a slim
Posted:
Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:15 am
quote : #15
I found some 3rd party fan for the slim and I just bought it so I DON"T have to worry about overheating...I am thinking of just letting go of my 2nd fatty but since it still works and doesn't grind too much as my old one when it read barely scratched disk I am still going to use it until the day comes! why doesn't sony continue making more fattys...I'm pretty sure a facelift wouldn't hurt the price or anything...right!? or should we still keep the stone age look?(I personally have no problem with the old look BTW).