• METAL SLUG
  • NEO TURF MASTERS
  • SAMURAI SHODOWN
  • SENGOKU
  • SHOCK TROOPERS
  • SUPER SIDEKICKS 3
  • TOP HUNTER
  • WORLD HEROES

These are all NeoGeo games. If you are a fan of arcade games, and you do not buy this compilation, then there is something horribly wrong with you. Not only is this list of games completly incredible, but this has been labeled as "Volume 1". As if they plan to release... a Volume 2 as well.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue May 13, 2008 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 38
Posted:
Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:44 am
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
OH MY GOD!

SHOCK TROOPERS! I can't believe that SNK included that on Arcade Classics. That game alone is worth the price of admission. Very Happy

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:37 pm
quote : #3
They should bundle the game with a plastic bag, for the pieces of your head, which will explode from the sheer awesomeness.

SNK is really cranking out a ton of cool shit for the PS2 lately. Their collections have been hitting at really low pricepoints as well, so hopefully we'll see a low price on this one as well.

I have the NGPC versions of a lot of those games, it'll be cool to play the originals on a television instead of on a small screen.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:00 am
quote : #4
I have been rethinking how good this compilation will end up being. SNK Playmore USA is a sketchy operation. They ship buggy versions of games to the US Market, and often accept whatever disc is sent to them from japan/pal regions, and dump it on consumers without any quality assurance testing. For instance they keep shipping games with no progressive scan because, "thats what SNK of Japan sent us". Which means SNK Playmore USA is being sent the already localized PAL Region version of the game, which had 60hz Progressive scan stripped out.

Does anyone here remember the PS2 TRAVESTY that was KOF2001? If not, and you own this compilation, boot it up sometime. The North American retail release of this game was butchered. They "blurred" out all of the background images, stripped out the sprite avatars in favor of untouched art shots, and plugged in really horrid gold clouds behind the character select screen. The result was something of a "MUJEN" hack rather than a professional release. The funny thing is you switch right over to the KOF2000 disc, and it is flawless with full scan lines and everything. A perfect NEOGEO port. Thats because despite their ambitions to make the US release special, they couldn't even follow through. Its like they half-assed their half-ass operation.

Here is how I see it all going down:

SNK Playmore USA are taking the emulator used for Metal Slug Anthology, and hooking in other NeoGeo roms. If you weren't aware, Metal Slug 1, 2, & X all had "input lag" on the PS2 anthology release. So because of this, I bet the SNK Classic Arcade compilation will contain numerious flaws, bugs, and performance issues.

I was excited about this release at first. Now I am looking towards its impending release with close scrutiny.
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:06 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-J
i think this was released today (i would buy this myself, but i am currently without the means). so, if anybody happens to pick this up, let us know how it plays. is the emulation ok?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:08 pm
quote : #6
I will be buying it soon, but am waiting for it to come in-stock at estarland. When it arrives I will be able to give a detailed analysis of the Emulation quality for this compilation. I not only own a real NeoGeo and a plethora of games, but I also own almost every single SNK port already existing on the PS2.
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:37 pm
quote : #7
curious to see how this is, id buy it just for metal slug

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue May 13, 2008 2:23 am
quote : #8
(Originally Posted April 30th, 2008)

I still have not ordered this yet. I am waiting for another week or two when it is in online shops and confirmed. Various sites have been flipping around between in-stack and a later shipping date. I want to be sure a store has it in-stock before I order.

That being said, the game has been released and should start becoming available today and tomorrow at various shops.

I did some research and as suspected SNK Playmore USA has botched this compilation. The fighting games have major game crippling framerate problems. Though, if the shmup Last Resort manages to run at full speed, this compilation would be worth it for that alone. However there are still other variables to consider such as any forced filters or sprite flicker.

If you are craving some classic SNK on the PS2 I recommend buying:

• Art of Fighting Collection
  • Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1
  • Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 2
  • World Heroes Anthology
  • Metal Slug 4 & 5 (2-Discs in one game)

There is also Metal Slug Anthology but the games on that compilation are emulated and Metal Slug 1, 2 & X all suffer from input lag. The Metal Slug 4 & 5 release had more effort put into it and was a legitimate PS2 port of each game. Metal Slug Anthology still has more content with the legendary Metal Slug 3, and Atomiswave born Metal Slug 6. So I guess since 4 & 5 run good on Anthology its a toss up as to which one you want to buy.

I did things a bit differently, and bought MS4&5 US release, and then own metal slugs 3, 4, 5, 6 as japanese imports. I did this instead of getting the Anthology release that is semi-tained with the input lag in MS1,2,X.

EDIT: (May 13th 2008)

So I checked back at neo-geo.com, and people were pretty much bashing this game compilation left and right. I visit there quite a bit and they pretty much bash every game that comes out, but this time they were pretty loud about it. It wasn't just "this compilation sucks" but they pointed out all of the defects. Do not spend any money on this compilation. It is not worth your time. If you have never played the Neo Geo before, this compilation will give you a horrible first impression. Many of the games have crippling framerate issues, filtering effects that attempt to smooth out graphics (only to ruin them, making it look worse), and some serious glitches.

See the list I made above, for NeoGeo game compilations to buy that have already been released in the US.
rank 4
Posted:
Tue May 13, 2008 10:27 am
quote : #9
It will be released on Europe in August, 2008 Very Happy

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Tue May 13, 2008 7:37 pm
quote : #10
yea ill probably pass on this then

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 pm
quote : #11
most of the games on that compilation are some of the ones I have never heard of.....I might think about it over KoF but then again I got used to the newer versions and I dont know anything of the schmatics of the gameplay.....