Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:05 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was wondering if anyone knows which is better for the longevity of the PS2, switching the switch on the back of the PS2 (fat version) or keeping that on and just pressing the reset button so it goes red. Some of my friends seem to think that keep it in "stand-by" as they call it (when you leave the back switch on but the reset button red) will increase the life of your PS2. They say it isn't good for your PS2 to keep switching it off. I've always switched it off as soon as I finish playing. I know other people do the same way and are pretty sure it doesn't hinder your PS2's life span. Any thoughts?
Posted:
Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:20 pm
quote : #2
I have heard mixed opinions of this as well. I had my fat ps2 for 7 or 8 years though and I always would power the system down into standby and would flip the switch in the back off. It didn't seem to affect anything on my ps2. My fat ps2 laser died after 8 years but that is unrelated.

Although, the new slims do not even have a switch in the back, so keeping it on standby doesn't hurt anything. It just uses a tiny bit of power.
Posted:
Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:15 pm
quote : #3
Buy a power strip with a built in switch, then you can shut it off a slim just like you would on a fat model.

I actually power off my systems based on playtimes. If I am just taking a break, and am going to play again in a few hours, I will leave it on standby. However if I am done for the day, I will flip the switch on the back.
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:32 pm
quote : #4
I was just thinking about this the other day actually. Especially, since out of laziness, I've been putting my PS2 in standby more often lately.